I finally discovered what it is I want to be when I "grow up". I want to be June Pallin. Ryan and I have used context clues to decide she must be 78 years old. She lives kiddy-corner from us, across an intersection. She's in our ward, so I guess it's amazing she lives so close. Yesterday we had a relief society activity at the church. It wasn't anything particularly exciting, but I went and June (Sister Pallin is what I really call her) was there. I found myself observing her, for no particular reason. This is what I saw (sorry I don't have pictures of what I saw).
I saw a woman that was always smiling.
I saw a woman who was not ever afraid to shower the world with uplifting comments, just because they were true.
I saw a woman who saw every other person before she ever thought of herself.
I saw a woman who truly has learned to be like Jesus Christ.
I saw all of this while at the church for a short relief society activity and I saw it all through action. It makes me think that Christ really didn't need to preach about who he is in order for it to be evident. It's obvious when you meet such a person that they're just somebody special!
This may seem like the end of my thoughts, but fortunately, relief society was not the end of yesterday's interactions with June Pallin. After the activity, we were both given a ride home. I told them to just drop me off at the Pallin's because I could walk home from there. When we were dropped off and I was walking home Sister Pallin said, "Melissa, it's not very late, would you like to come in and visit for a while?" I was more than happy to oblige her, but went and grabbed Ryan first. June's husband, Everett Pallin, has encouraged me to come over ever since we got here. We tried once (and yes only once), but they weren't home. Ryan was also more than thrilled to go visit with he Pallins. Here are some things that really impress me about their church service (they aren't ones to brag, but I'm sure one to brag for them).
- Converts in their early marriage, trust me, if you knew them, you would suspect they'd been members forever and ever. It's hard to imagine the Pallins ever weren't.
- Toronto Temple President
- Mission President (I believe in Atlanta)
- Parents of 8 children (apparently I consider this church service)
- Close friends of both President Monson (Brother Pallin was his assistant when he was the Toronto Mission President) and Elder Ballard (who was also a mission president here), I suppose not exactly church service, but church related, right?
- Stake Patriarch
- Heading up the making of the movie Joseph Smith in Upper Canada
- They're currently working on a history of the church in Toronto from the early 1800s until 1960, when the first stake was formed. Not to mention that they're thrilled to be having their grandchildren help them.
- So many other things (including teaching primary, Sis. Pallin currently does that and Bro. Pallin mentioned some experiences last night)
So, that's a list of church things that I know about. They also happen to be the nicest, most humble, giving people I've ever met. Many remarks to questions and in conversation that we heard last night include...
"We have the greatest neighbors in the world. I don't know how anyone could have greater neighbors than ours!"
"They are such an amazing family. We're so glad that we get to know them and have that blessing in our life."
"[Regarding my Uncle Bahig] He seems like such a nice man and he takes such beautiful care of the yard."
"[Regarding us even] We're so lucky to have you guys here in our ward for the summer. What a blessing it is to have you guys. We're so glad you're here."
If I haven't made my point well enough, I think that we (and everyone they probably ever meet) are the ones blessed to have them around and ever meet them. Both of them are always seeking out others and seem to often help them meet their needs.
So, I want to be the Pallins when I grow up. That's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment