The Germans from Russia Museum.
Ryan and I have wanted to go to the Germans from Russia Museum since we moved here. We can't help it, names of museums that are completely out of place are somehow appealing. It ends up that it's not just a museum, but a genealogical center for people of German descent who have ancestors who lived in Russia. Apparently the Germans were promised lots of great things if they moved to Russia to have some sort of a presence there way back before Germany was Germany (ask Ryan for details, he actually remembers). Then, they were later forgotten. Stalin was not exactly happy about the Germans in Russia and many of them ended up in Lincoln, Nebraska (of all places, does that sound random to anyone else?). The Museum had some artifacts and pictures and some outlined history (it was small, but bigger than I expected). When we went with my mother and sisters, we weren't able to see inside the tour buildings (since they don't do tours in the Winter and they had been cleaned out for the season as of then). Since going there, I've noticed sections of Lincoln where the architecture resembles that of the tour buildings. I've assumed these to have once been small communities of the Germans from Russia who settled in here.
Ryan and I have wanted to go to the Germans from Russia Museum since we moved here. We can't help it, names of museums that are completely out of place are somehow appealing. It ends up that it's not just a museum, but a genealogical center for people of German descent who have ancestors who lived in Russia. Apparently the Germans were promised lots of great things if they moved to Russia to have some sort of a presence there way back before Germany was Germany (ask Ryan for details, he actually remembers). Then, they were later forgotten. Stalin was not exactly happy about the Germans in Russia and many of them ended up in Lincoln, Nebraska (of all places, does that sound random to anyone else?). The Museum had some artifacts and pictures and some outlined history (it was small, but bigger than I expected). When we went with my mother and sisters, we weren't able to see inside the tour buildings (since they don't do tours in the Winter and they had been cleaned out for the season as of then). Since going there, I've noticed sections of Lincoln where the architecture resembles that of the tour buildings. I've assumed these to have once been small communities of the Germans from Russia who settled in here.
No comments:
Post a Comment