Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Story of My Garden

I've really enjoyed planting a garden this year.  You have no idea how happy I was to find that there was a garden plot when I arrived in Nebraska.  It was kind of the upside to the condition of our place when we moved in.  (Which I will someday elaborate on when we no longer live here and I can already warn you that you will probably want to skip over it because it is going to be a lengthy list of grievances and complaints.)  Now that I've mentioned that though I will add this warning:  I'm going to complain about my management in this post regarding my garden.  I already know.  You see, this is how it went down.  I planted my nice little garden all squished full of stuff.  There were so many things I wanted to plant, but despite my garden excitement, it's a small plot.  

Above you can see that the peas are all bushy and growing well (this link shows my basically bare plot, so you can get an idea) and other things are popping out of the ground.  You can't even see everything that is going on in this picture, so I will tell you.  Peas in front, beans getting ready to climb the fence, corn (in nice rows and only a few inches tall), a sunflower on the pole right behind the peas, a bell pepper plant on the left behind the peas, behind that two little tomato plants, behind that two little butternut squash plants, behind the corn is green onion and carrots, and behind that some watermelon plants (very small at this point).  I suppose I was a little overzealous when planting my garden because it soon became a forest.  Not that that is bad, I LOVED it!  I loved watching the plants grow, they grew so fast!  My corn got pretty tall, the sunflower taller and taller, the squash huge, the tomatoes blossomed, peas had full peas, beans were climbing the fence, etc.  Pretty much it was garden heaven (at least for a small plot) and I was so happy about it.

The one day, I heard some weird noises outside.  I was in Vidalia's room, which overlooks the garden.  I looked outside and two shirtless guys (really is that necessary?)  Were removing the fences.  Yes, the ones my beans were growing on.  I quickly felt myself flare up with anger.  I started pacing very quickly around.  I looked outside again as they walked on my garden and knocked the fence on top of it.  I paced faster and faster and really had some not nice things to say to them.  When this was done, it wasn't as bad as I made it sound, my peas were flat to the ground, my beans, well, most were gone, and there was less hope for the success of my green onions and carrots.  I was upset, but I was getting over being angry.

A few days later (it was a Monday because Ryan was home) I heard them outside again.  Ryan looked outside and made a remark about them being shirtless (similar to the one I made above probably) and then we went about our day.  After taking the fence out, they started putting a new one in.  That's what the picture below is of.
Can you see what they did?  A quarter of my garden gone!  Peas, half dead.  Beans gone gone gone!  Corn, quite harmed.  Watermelon, well one plant survived.  Since then my nice father-in-law helped me weed out all the grass and I was able to access my actual losses.  Lets just say that my bell pepper and tomatoes were unharmed and the squash had minimal damage, everything else experienced either extinction or severe damage.  I am hopeful that some will revive, but I've already lost some more since.  (As you can see, the damage was not limited to my garden, but my neighbor's also.)  Hopefully my next garden post will be of happiness, like garden posts should be, but as for now... How Rude!

No comments:

Post a Comment