Prairieland's Dairy Days!
Once a year, a large dairy farm (of about 1400 cows) in Firth, Nebraska (about 30 minutes away) has what they call Dairy Days! Today was dairy days. Fortunately, Ryan has a job. Unfortunately, he had to work today. So Vidalia and I joined our friends (Chris, Jennie, James, and Evelyn) for Dairy Days.
Our original plan was to be there right when they open. There's not a lot of parking at the farm, so they shuttle everyone from the local high school to the farm. Tons of people show up, so the line can get pretty long. It rained this morning (the hardest I've seen yet in Nebraska...which would be ever), so we postponed. The rain subsided and it ended up feeling super hot outside today (although when we left, the car said it was only 88 degrees F).
It was fun. We got some ice cream, rode a tractor trailer while receiving a tour of the farm, walked through a different part of the farm to view the equipment used for producing milk, watched them milk cows from an observation deck, went to a petting zoo made up of animals from the farm (donkeys, a cow, a calf, ducks, geese, chickens, pigs, a goat, a sheep, honey bees, something else I can't remember right now), played in a pit made of dried soybeans, rode in a train made out of milk barrels, ate lunch, and climbed around on a castle made of hay. There were a few more things to do too, but that was about what the kids could handle. The best part is that it was entirely free. No entrance fee. No shuttle fee. No food fee. Free.
I definitely recommend Dairy Days and hope to return again next year!
Once a year, a large dairy farm (of about 1400 cows) in Firth, Nebraska (about 30 minutes away) has what they call Dairy Days! Today was dairy days. Fortunately, Ryan has a job. Unfortunately, he had to work today. So Vidalia and I joined our friends (Chris, Jennie, James, and Evelyn) for Dairy Days.
Our original plan was to be there right when they open. There's not a lot of parking at the farm, so they shuttle everyone from the local high school to the farm. Tons of people show up, so the line can get pretty long. It rained this morning (the hardest I've seen yet in Nebraska...which would be ever), so we postponed. The rain subsided and it ended up feeling super hot outside today (although when we left, the car said it was only 88 degrees F).
It was fun. We got some ice cream, rode a tractor trailer while receiving a tour of the farm, walked through a different part of the farm to view the equipment used for producing milk, watched them milk cows from an observation deck, went to a petting zoo made up of animals from the farm (donkeys, a cow, a calf, ducks, geese, chickens, pigs, a goat, a sheep, honey bees, something else I can't remember right now), played in a pit made of dried soybeans, rode in a train made out of milk barrels, ate lunch, and climbed around on a castle made of hay. There were a few more things to do too, but that was about what the kids could handle. The best part is that it was entirely free. No entrance fee. No shuttle fee. No food fee. Free.
I definitely recommend Dairy Days and hope to return again next year!
This pig oinked at Vidalia and she ran away crying because she was terrified.
Vidalia went inside this tunnel, so I ran to the other side to get a picture of her when she cam out. When I got to the other side, I found out that the tunnel didn't go straight through. I went back to the first tunnel and several children came out, none of them were her. I then ran around the castle twice and couldn't find her anywhere; it terrified me. I finally asked all the children coming out if they had seen a baby. One child asked me if the baby was a girl and then pointed to where she was sitting in a corner sucking her thumb. I then did not let her go in anymore tunnels. Seriously TERRIFIED me.
No comments:
Post a Comment