For 750,000 points, What is the difference between a pier and a dock?
For 250,000 points, What is the difference between a harbor and a bay?
Bonus (pointage TBA) Who sings "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"?
Brown Nose points for whoever listens to the song.
(Endorsed by Melissa)
1) A Pier has a set height. Tides may come and go and rise and fall in relation to the height of a pier. A dock either floats or has a method to maintain a constant water height such that the eight from the water to the dock is always constant.
ReplyDelete2) A harbor can be in a bay, but doesn't have to be. A bay is any partial enclosure of water. A harbor implies a port where ships come tie in, usually for moving freight or people.
Bonus: soul singer Ottis Redding with Guitarist Steve Cropper
I guess I should mention, there is another use for "dock" as well. Some would say that the dock or "slip" is the area of water where a boat comes to tie up to a pier. As such, you can't actually walk on a "dock" (unless you can walk on water). So, it depends how a person uses it, but I understand both answers (this and my previous one) to be correct.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Matt, I'm pretty sure you get a million points! :)
ReplyDelete