This is another event that took me several months before I could talk about it. This happened many months ago, perhaps last November? Anyway we were living in our first place in Lincoln, a town home with two stories (from the main floor you walk up 6 steps to a landing where there was a back door, then turn around and climb 6 more to be on the top floor).
So, one night at about 3:00 AM I woke up to go to the bathroom when I felt a draft of cold air. I walked to the top of the stairs to investigate and found the back door slightly open. I started asking "Hello? Hello?" with as firm a voice as possible. After taking two steps down the stairs I noticed a silhouette of a large person wearing a baseball cap swaying slightly back and forth. I instructed Melissa to call 911 and started telling this person "Sir, you're trespassing, we're calling 911 and you will be prosecuted! Leave immediately!"
At the same time I grabbed for the nearest protection I could find, which happened to be a camping blanket. At this same time, Melissa was whispering to me "the phones are downstairs, we don't have them up here." I continued to repeat my instructions while my anxiety was rising by the second. "Sir, you're trespassing and you need to leave immediately!"
I mustered up enough courage to take a few more steps downstairs, bracing myself for a confrontation. Whatever happened, I was determined above all else to protect my wife and daughter even if it meant bodily harm to myself.
As my foot set on about the third step from the landing, the profile became clear and I could see exactly who I was talking to. A helium balloon. It was a helium balloon, suspended about 6 feet off the ground right at the base of the stairs; it was swaying slightly in response to the heater vent blowing hot air in its direction.
So, one night at about 3:00 AM I woke up to go to the bathroom when I felt a draft of cold air. I walked to the top of the stairs to investigate and found the back door slightly open. I started asking "Hello? Hello?" with as firm a voice as possible. After taking two steps down the stairs I noticed a silhouette of a large person wearing a baseball cap swaying slightly back and forth. I instructed Melissa to call 911 and started telling this person "Sir, you're trespassing, we're calling 911 and you will be prosecuted! Leave immediately!"
At the same time I grabbed for the nearest protection I could find, which happened to be a camping blanket. At this same time, Melissa was whispering to me "the phones are downstairs, we don't have them up here." I continued to repeat my instructions while my anxiety was rising by the second. "Sir, you're trespassing and you need to leave immediately!"
I mustered up enough courage to take a few more steps downstairs, bracing myself for a confrontation. Whatever happened, I was determined above all else to protect my wife and daughter even if it meant bodily harm to myself.
As my foot set on about the third step from the landing, the profile became clear and I could see exactly who I was talking to. A helium balloon. It was a helium balloon, suspended about 6 feet off the ground right at the base of the stairs; it was swaying slightly in response to the heater vent blowing hot air in its direction.
I was really scared! I am so glad it was just a balloon! Are you guys in Utah. I like you guys.
ReplyDelete