Saturday, January 22, 2011

A sound, effective method of reckoning time

I have developed a method of reckoning time that would eliminate great confusion. If it were adopted by the entire population, the result would be that when anyone used the words last, this, or next with reference to time, it would be as clear as when we use the words yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

There is no need for any clarification when we hear the words yesterday, today, or tomorrow. The listener knows exactly what day the speaker is referring to without question no matter who the speaker is. If people were to adopt the method I am about to outline the same would be true any time anyone used the words last, this, or next. This really is very valuable, if only I could think of a way to convince people to use it.

When referring to years:

Last year must always mean the previous calendar year (For the present that would be 2010).

This year must always mean the current calendar year (2011).

Next year must always mean the upcoming calendar year (2012).

When referring to months:

Last month should always mean the previous calendar month. (For the present that would be December 2010.

This month should always mean the current calendar month. (January)

Next month should always mean the upcoming calendar month. (February)

When referring to a specific month (December, August, March, etc.):

Last December, August, or March only refer to December, August, or March of the previous calendar year (in this case 2010).

This December, August, or March= December, August, or March of the current calendar year. (2011)

Next December, August, March etc.= December, August, or March of the upcoming calendar year. (2012)

Thus, the phrase This January is always in past tense unless it currently is January.

The phrase Next December is always at the very soonest, one full year away.

The same applies to all Holidays and half of the seasons (Spring and Fall) since each is completely contained within one calendar year. An exception must be made for Summer for the Southern Hemisphere and Winter for the Northern Hemisphere) since they start in one year and end in the next. I haven't quite figured this part out yet; perhaps a global agreement should be made to define exactly what dates start and end these seasons, just as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) was almost universally accepted as the time standard to determine time zones all over the planet.

In regard to weeks:

For the purpose of this explanation Sunday will be considered the first day of the week and Saturday the last.

Last week must always refer to the previous calendar week.

This week must always refer to the current calender week.

Next week must always refer to the upcoming calendar week.

In regard to days of the week:

Last Monday, Thursday, or Saturday only refer to said days of the previous calendar week.

This Monday, Thursday, or Saturday only refer to said days of the current calendar week.

Next Monday, Thursday, or Saturday only refer to said days of the upcoming calendar week.

Thus the phrase This Sunday is always in past tense unless it currently is Sunday and the phrase Next Friday is never less than 6 days away.

Disclaimer 1: This system is based on the Gregorian Calendar developed in the 17th century by Pope Gregory XIII which starts January 1 and ends December 31.

Disclaimer 2: The practice of combining two of these words in the same phrase (e.g. This Last Week, This Next Tuesday) is absolutely, unequivocally, and irrevocably prohibited. These three words are mutually exclusive and can not be used in the same phrase.

Disclaimer 3: There is a need for a global standard to decide exactly which day is officially the first day of the week. Some consider the week to begin on Saturday and end on Sunday. Some (including this author) consider it to start on Sunday and end on Saturday. That makes sense from a religious standpoint; the Sabbath is made to be the first day of the week. It also reflects almost all calendars this author has ever seen. There are some who consider the week to start on Monday and end on Sunday, which makes sense from a business standpoint, since the work week is traditionally considered to start on Monday and end on Friday and the weekend is understood to start Friday evening and end Monday morning.

Disclaimer 4: If the author has ever been found to deviate from this method it is only a reflection of the fact that currently the society in which he lives has no common method and thus he has been consistently exposed to methods which invite widespread confusion; these deviations do not in any way invalidate the method being proposed here.

Disclaimer 5: This method does not currently have a name; if one is ever needed it will be created.

Disclaimer 6: This work is pending copyright (pending me convincing Melissa that this is worth spending $35).

6 comments:

  1. Good luck convincing Melissa. That system doesn't really work for me. Just saying. The confusion doesn't bother me. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to argue, I think that my way is better:

    I always refer to "this sunday" as in the nearest one coming up and "next sunday" as the one after that.
    So if Today is Friday I would say:
    This Saturday: Tomorrow
    This Sunday: 2 days from now
    This Monday: 3 days away
    This Tuesday: 4 days away
    and so on until:
    Next Friday: exactly 1 week from today

    Any day that you are referring to in the same week as today you would say ON ...
    So if today is Friday
    I would say either on Thursday or yesterday
    On Wednesday (2 days ago)
    On Tuesday (3 days ago)
    On Monday (4 days ago)
    On Sunday (5 days ago)
    and then I would say last for
    Last Saturday (6 days ago, but previous week)
    Last Friday (exactly one week in the past)
    because the week starts on Sunday in my mind.

    I think that this is the way that most people talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, I do the same as you, which is why this is even a topic for Ryan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your use of the word On. What I particularly dislike is when people combine the words. Well I guess this won't be adopted as a global standard-I'm just trying to help make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Father typed the following in an email: "Well thought out, Ryan. I grasped what you were saying. Let me know if any global recognition of the idea arises.
    Pai

    ReplyDelete