Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Textbooks

Class today...

Teacher:  This is actually very important.  How many of you read this part of the textbook?

The teacher looks around.  Nobody responds.

Teacher:  I made this semester way too easy for you guys.  Nobody even read the textbook.

A few disgruntled arguments about having read the textbook some.

Teacher:  Don't lie to me.  I never even opened a textbook before I taught this class!

Probably a few minutes of students disagreeing with the teacher about that (they do that a lot).

Teacher: You know why textbooks are so expensive don't you?  Students aren't going to get anything out of them, so the publishers might as well.

2 comments:

  1. This is sooo true in engineering! Except when you're in graduate school. I read textbooks all the time now. It's a new phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never used text books in grad school. The information was too old by time it got into a textbook. Makes school a lot cheaper that way.

    ReplyDelete