I would like to follow the lead of many of my courageous friends who are discussing the topic of vulnerability and authenticity. We so often feel the need to bury our pain and put all our energy into maintaining a facade which is partially real and partially imaginary. Certainly if we do not understand why we are hurting, these measures are necessary. Viktor Frankl (author of Man's Search for Meaning among many other priceless books) said "Suffering ceases to be suffering when we form a clear and precise picture of it". For my part, there was a time in my life when nearly every moment was spent in dread and agony. There was a time when I felt like screaming and crying at the sight of food because it meant the pain would continue and I was not willing to seriously consider the alternative to eating the food. Well, that is no longer the case. The cure? Vulnerability with people I trust (and that now includes myself!!). I used to believe that feelings were mysterious, incomprehensible, and unpredictable. No longer. I still have a lot of learning to do and must confess that I am not always at peace, but now the difference is that I know that something discernible inside me is causing the distress and that I will discover and change it! Suffering ceases to be suffering when we form a clear and precise picture of it. As I have explored my pain and sorrow; as I have shed conscious light on it, I have found the freedom to change it. :)
your friend,
I am free as I am authentic
I do not need anyone to do or not do anything to make me feel happy.
I am at choice to heal
I honor my truths and allow others to honor theirs.
I am truly free to act for myself, and not to be acted upon. This is made possible by the fact that I have taken full ownership of every choice I make (well mostly). God is not responsible for what I feel, think, say, or do, I am! My will is the one thing that I truly own and no one else, not even God.
-Ryan Scott Chickens Armstrong
your friend,
I am free as I am authentic
I do not need anyone to do or not do anything to make me feel happy.
I am at choice to heal
I honor my truths and allow others to honor theirs.
I am truly free to act for myself, and not to be acted upon. This is made possible by the fact that I have taken full ownership of every choice I make (well mostly). God is not responsible for what I feel, think, say, or do, I am! My will is the one thing that I truly own and no one else, not even God.
-Ryan Scott Chickens Armstrong
No comments:
Post a Comment