Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Clyde Building

Today has been an interesting day.  Not because the day itself was really all that interesting, but because there was an "accident" in the Clyde building leaving me without a lab, classes, my coat, and my backpack with everything inside it (homework, books, phone, keys, notes, cell phone, any identification I have, lunch, and saddest of all my TI-89  :(  Missing it.)  Anyhow, not having my calculator ends up not being that big of a problem because all my classes tomorrow are in the Clyde building and the Clyde building is closed until 5pm tomorrow.  Yay!

So, I heard lots of different stories (no stories from credible sources, but some info from credible sources).  This is what I currently think must have happened, or in other words, a story I made up from the things I heard.

They've been doing some sort of construction on the first floor (where all my stuff is) and they put a screw into the main electrical duct.  (If that's not something, sorry, I think that's what I heard.  I don't know what an electrical duct is, but the thing I'm actually talking about is the grouping of main wires controlling the electricity.)  So all the power went out.    So, that's my power outage story, I guess.  There must have been a fire involved because the fire alarm went off.  And for sure there was a carbon monoxide leak (the firemen told me that one).

This is how this involves me.  I was working in some labs on the first floor (a machine shop and a room of ovens).  My stuff was all in a room near the machine shop.  I was near the room of ovens.  The power went out.  The emergency lights came on.  I went to look for a flashlight because the oven was on and I thought we should turn it off before leaving.  Then the fire alarm went off.  I went through a quick debate about exiting the near exit or going back to the room to get my stuff.  I figured they would let us back in soon, so I left.

After standing outside for a short time, I went to write a paper.  Part way through writing it, I was gonna go try and grab my stuff.  I ran into a teammate who told me they wouldn't let me in.  So I finished my paper. I went to see how I could get into the Clyde building.  I talked to some firemen that told me about the CO leak and that once they get clearance they would take people into the building to get important items.  I decided to leave and come back later and instead tried to find a way to read my assignment for my class in one hour, but was unable to, so I just didn't (book in backpack deal).  It ended up being fine though.  I went to all my classes, then tried to return to the Clyde building.  It was all locked up so I tried to find someone to give me information.  The only information I could get is that they wouldn't let anyone in.

So I walked to Campus Plaza and hung out with some friends and made them listen to my saga, which I think was fine.  It's really quite humorous.  After a while, one of them received an email that said they would be escorting people from 3-5 to get important things from the Clyde building, and also that all classes in the Clyde building are cancelled tomorrow.  Yay!  No school!  :)  I was super excited and ran up to the Clyde building.  When I got there, I found out that they would take people anywhere except the first floor.  Boo.  They said they couldn't take people there because "that's where the accident happened".  (Which is why I decided the accident was on the first floor.)  They told me to come back in the morning and that I'd probably be able to get myself then, so that's the current plan.

That's my long story of how today was interesting and now, I won't do my homework or go to school tomorrow.  Lovely!  :)

1 comment: