So a couple of days ago it snowed the first real snow. That means it stuck to the ground and boy, is it stuck real good. I'd been enjoying the fact that I was in Utah, it had gotten to be December, and the ground was still devoid of snow. Then one Sunday morning there was snow all over the ground. "Lame!" I thought. But since then, this is what the snow has brought me to think about. (Nothing too exciting, sorry.)
For anyone unaware, I'm afraid of ice. I can't explain why because I don't actually hate falling down, it hurts yes, but nothing terrible has ever happened to me because I fell down. When the snow starts to fall, I start to anticipate ice being absolutely everywhere. I walk super slow; stare at the ground; go through the puffy snow rather than the packed whenever possible; that sort of thing, you know. When I think about it, it doesn't really make sense. That's probably the thing I'm afraid of most, ice, with no explanation as to why.
A year or two ago I decided I was going to rid myself of this silly fear and so I registered for a hockey class. (I got permission to take hockey although I had no idea how to ice skate. I know. What kind of a Canadian am I?) Anyhow, the class began and they taught us how to stop. That frustrated me, since everyone else would hurry to the center of the court and stop and I'd be at the beginning trying to figure out why my roller-blading motions didn't work very well. Things got better, but for a good portion of those first few weeks of class I was terrified to stand on the ice. (I don't know why. I was fully padded.) After a while I got really comfortable ice skating, but I was not so comfortable with people skating toward me. Then one day some guy and I accidentally body checked each other. That's when I learned that it's not scary for a short person to play hockey. I can just bend over a little and anyone trying to body check me will go over me and I'll probably lose my balance and fall, but it won't be by force. Eventually I could skate and stop and hit a puck (I wasn't very good, but I could do it). After all was done, I wasn't that great at hockey, but I could ice skate, and despite my desires and dedication, I was still terrified of ice. (Hockey was probably one of my favorite classes ever. Not only was it super fun, but for me it was inspiring because nobody hated me for being bad at hockey. Also, except for this hockey course, I had never been in a class where I was honestly the worst at the subject. That was a new experience and I liked it.)
Sorry that was a much longer hockey story than I meant to tell.
Ice is my greatest fear, my next greatest fear is cars, which is weird. I really like them. I think it would be fun to design them. I even like to drive them (when the road conditions are perfect - clear of bad weather and people). I guess what I'm really trying to say is that riding in vehicles in the snow makes me the most annoying person in the entire world and I apologize for that.
That's All. I don't know where this was going, but this is where it went. :)
I think this is one of the most awesome, hilarious post ever!
ReplyDeleteMatt and I must think alike. I was just going to say that I liked your post and hockey story. I thought it was funny too.
ReplyDelete