Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nostalgia

I was thinking today that I've been married for merely 3 months, which is really not very long at all, but anyhow I've come to a few conclusions.  First, I like being married.  It's fun and highly suggested by anyone who is happily married, as far as I'm aware.  Another conclusion I've come to is that although I really think that Ryan is the same person today as the person I married 3 months ago (I've heard people say that you really don't know a person until you marry them and well, I haven't felt that way at all.) there's a lot we don't know about each other's pasts.  This brings me to the title of this post and the real reason why I'm writing at all...nostalgia.  For any of you who are not aware, and it seems weird that anyone could be unaware of this because of my extensive past with this, but I play the violin.  I was minding my own business doing "fabulously entertaining" homework when I thought of playing my violin and entertained the idea.  I found a familiar yearning, one I've been ignoring (mostly) since I decided to be an engineering student.  It reminded me of some conversations Ryan and I have had since being married, learning a little more about each others pasts.  To his surprise, I told him about some of my violin students I used to have.  I told him how I used to teach Jr. High orchestra classes, individual students, substitute for my own orchestra class when my teacher was gone, teach after school orchestra classes to elementary aged children, participate in Utah All-State Orchestra and off-and-on in the Brigham City Youth Symphony.  While doing all of that I still made it a priority to practice 6 to 9 hours each day.  Really I was crazy...but sometimes, like now, I miss that.  Love the violin.  That was really the whole point of this.  :)  Since this whole post is basically about me, 2 things I was thinking that are kind of funny, one being, in Jr. High and High School I was actively involved in the MESA club (essentially the engineering club) and I mocked people who wanted to be engineers.  (Kind of ironic.  :)  No worries, my mocking really wasn't rude at all.)  The other is that engineering has screwed up my brain.  I couldn't find a sock I was looking for the other day and I kept saying, "I'm deficient a sock and I can't find it anywhere!"  Um...deficient?  Okay, I'll do more homework now.

No comments:

Post a Comment